Friday, August 19, 2011

Wednesday, July 13


This is what I had for lunch today. Fried rice from the street. I have no idea what the real name for it is, but that’s what I call it.

Here are the instructions for preparation.
1. Go to the street vendor.
2. Awkwardly say hello. I would like that one (pointing to rice), that one (pointing to meat), no have (to the ones that you don’t want) and a little spicy.
3. He cracks an egg in the huge skillet which is over a propane burner.
4. He grabs the ingredients I pointed to and throws them in the skillet.
5. He shakes him around until they are all done, while the woman (maybe his wife, who knows) gets the plastic bags and bowl ready.
6. Ask how much it costs.
7. Woman says my Chinese is so good.
8. Awkwardly thank her, hand her the cash.
9. Dodge cars to cross the street. Carry your food to class and then enjoy.
(my suggestion is to not try this recipe at home)
Today I had tutoring in the afternoon. It was actually a pretty good session. Sometimes I feel like it is a waste of time for me. I have a midterm tomorrow (on Friday) so we prepared for that. It went by pretty quickly. I think that when I come back to school in the fall I want to try and find someone who would be willing to practice Chinese with me. I think having someone to help you in person is really the best way (and only effective way I’ve experienced) of learning Chinese.
For dinner my roommate and I ordered pizza from Pizza Hut! It was pretty good. Here are some pictures from that as well.

The pizza was pretty good. We ordered supreme, I think it had sausage, ham, black olives, mushrooms, pineapple, and green peppers. And there was cheese in the crust. Yumm. Yay for extra cheese.

We also each had a salad and I had potatoes and my roommate got a chicken leg. Here are my sides

In the evening I played Majiang. I am addicted. Good thing we don’t gamble haha. Just kidding I have no idea how to add points, only to play until someone wins. So I wouldn’t even know how to gamble. There is a small group of us who come every week. It is fun for us to get together to play. I like that the people in Majiang aren’t people from my classes, so I get to see a few other people that I don’t normally see.

No comments:

Post a Comment