Sooooo it is 4:41 am (in China time) and I have yet to fall asleep. About every couple months I just have one of those nights where I literally can’t fall asleep ALL night long. It makes me soo frustrated. I tried listening to music, listening to an audiobook, tossed and turned in every direction, practiced thinking in Chinese, went to the bathroom a million times, took some tums. Nothing worked. Around 4 am a group of people who had gone clubbing got home and were being super loud. It even woke my roommate up (and it would have woken me up if I had been sleeping). I went out and politely asked them to keep it down. Oh the useful skills I have learned from being an RA.
So after that I went back to bed, listened to more audiobook, and then decided I wanted to post on my blog. The sun begins to rise (well actually the sky gets lighter, I can’t actually see the sun) a little after 4 am. I haven’t been awake for that since the first week I was here.
I really need to finish the materials for my English lesson in Anhui. But I don’t wanna. I should be doing that. Or packing. Or showering. Or sleeping.
Last night I went to an all you can eat Japanese restaurant where they have sushi and meats that they cook on a grill in front of you. Yummm but hello stomach ache. And I can still feel the garlic flavor and other spices in my mouth even after much tooth brushing. It was fun and I tried oysters and another kind of shellfish that I forget what the name is for the first time. I also had some eel, beef, mango, papaya, an amazing salad with thousand island dressing (I know right, kind of random). And there was all you can drink Coke and juice! haha. Yay for free refills. One of the things I take for granted in America. If I want some more to drink, no prob bob. The only thing I didn’t try was octopus legs, I thought that it looked too sick. They looked like little seahorses. I probably should have tried it, just to say I had, but I didn’t. No need to worry, I’m over it already. I loved watching the guy cook and chop and slap it around right in front of us.
So today I will be leaving in two hours for the trip with my entire program. I really wish that I had been able to get some sleep, but I guess I will have a plane ride and a bus ride and can maybe catch some sleep on those. Since I will be away from the internet for the next like week and a half, I will not be having updates for a while. I am planning to keep a travel journal (I always keep a personal journal anyway) to write throughout my two trips. If you want more details about the trips, just scroll down, I think I wrote about them before.
Wishing I could sleep.
Also when we got woken up around 4 am, I told my roommate that I couldn’t sleep and that I had been awake all night. She told me that in China some people say that you should count shui jiao (I don’t know how to spell this one or the character but it means dumplings) which sounds like shui jiao (睡觉, sleep). Just like in English when you count sheep because it sounds like sleep. OOHHHHH I had never thought about that, sleep and sheep sound very similar. I tried counting shui jiao in Chineses. Out loud. Which made my roommate laugh a lot. I probably sounded like a 5 year old.
zai jian! I’ll be back soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment